Tuesday 10 September 2013

Have you seen the hotdog man?...

Hello,

Funny story about today... well maybe it's not funny, but the mood I'm in is making me think it's hilarious.

It's hot outside. We all feel it. It didn't seem like it was going to be this morning, so a lot of people, myself included, dressed for cooler weather. We dealt with it, right? Striped off layers, had a cold drink... all the things you're supposed to do when you're hot.

What are the two things you didn't do today? Did you jump into a downtown fountain fully-clothed? No? Me neither. Did you accost a hotdog vendor for a free drink because you're "f*cking hot, man"? No? Me neither.

Apparently this is typical behaviour downtown. I seemed to be the only giving a "what the..." look to the two men who were walking through the fountain, and I was certainly the only one (aside from the shocked vendor) who gave a disgusted look to the seemingly drunk man cursing to get a free drink.

I try to be understanding. I really do. I try to see the good in everyone and see things from both sides of the fence and all the other garbage second grade teachers teach us is necessary to be a good person. But I can't for the life of me understand some people. I know it's part of life to take the good with bad, the happy with the sad, blah blah blah, but this is unreal.

I don't get people who feel like they can do whatever they want and that the world owes them something. The world doesn't owe you anything unless it wants to owe the rest of us something as well. Period.

Maybe I'm being insensitive. Maybe I'm just jaded. I don't see how it became acceptable to ask people for freebies. I feel the same way about panhandlers and people like that; what are you doing that makes you think you deserve a handout? If you're going to be standing on the side of the road with your hand out every day, maybe put your time to good use and learn to play an instrument. Or a bucket turned upside down like a drum. Be creative. Do something that will make people think that you're actually working for their money. I would never in a million years think to ask a stranger for their money or anything that belongs to them. I feel bad enough going to my parents and asking them for money (not that I don't from time to time).

Anyway, again, maybe this is all insensitive of me. Maybe I missed the memo that said we’re all supposed to give people things. Maybe when I was working in retail I was supposed to let those girls hide clothes in their bags and just walk out of the store with them. Maybe when I was working in a restaurant I should have given people food for free just because they didn’t feel like paying. Maybe now that I’m working in an industry that bills people monthly, I should just let them know that they don’t have to pay this month or next or the one after that just ‘cause. Same mentality, right?

I guess all that I really have to say is people work hard for their money. I know this from experience. I don't go to school all day and work all night to walk outside and hand out the little bit of extra cash I have to someone who sits around all day. I have no problem giving to charity, or to buskers, or balloon artists for that matter, they just have to do something, that's really all I can say.

Thank you for reading my rant.

Pinterest


M

PS - on a side note, I'd like to tell a funny story that my grandpa told me. One day, years ago, he was walking out of the CBC building and a homeless man approached him and said, "Do you have any money?" He extended his hand, expecting my grandpa to give him some change, but instead my grandpa said, "Of course I do. Do I look poor?" He continued on his way (a little quicker than usual) and left the homeless man in shock. I wonder where I get my attitude from... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment