Monday 24 September 2012

Bon-tasties

This weekend I decided to have a bonfire. Bonfire season is almost closed and I realized that I have only held a handful of them so far this year. Tragic. I was not impressed with myself at all.

So, naturally I looked to Pinterest to give me healthy, fun ideas on how to make my bonfire the best one yet.

As you might have expected, I was bombarded with all the brilliant bonfire ideas. Lucky for me I was entertaining a youngin' that night and was specifically looking for kid-friendly ideas. What did I find? Behold...
Photo cred: Ieva Gruzina's Pinterest
Banana S'mores!! Yes, s'mores made with bananas. Is this not pure brilliance?! I was blown away. 

So, I grabbed my friend Dee and told her the plan. She was almost as excited as I was. We chatted about how it's not cheating our diets because we're substituting out something "bad" for something good, and must be cutting at least 50 calories by swapping out the delicious graham crackers for some fruit. Now, of course this would have been the case had we not made up our own concoctions and added our personal favourite, crispy crunch sprinkles, to each banana s'more. Not to mention we swapped out the chocolate chips on one s'more for peanut butter chocolate chips -- OK, I'll admit we got a little carried away.

Anyway, they turned out amazing. Take a look for yourself...

YUMMY
The outer ones have chocolate chips and crispy crunch sprinkles, the middle one is the peanut butter. 

They were a hit! The little one loved them -- go figure -- and us older folk liked the change. Once again Pinterest came to the rescue offering up another delectable and fun dish.

Just in case you're wondering how to make them...

You will need:
- Banana(s)
- Mini-marshmellows
- Chocolate chips (or another sort of chip... peanut butter, white chocolate...)
- Aluminum foil
- Some sort of heater -- we used the BBQ because we don't have a grill rack over the fire pit

Start with a banana, slice length-wise down the middle, but not all the way through (keep attached). Stick in mini-marshmellows and chocolate chips. Try not to rip the banana apart... it just gets so messy! Wrap the banana s'more in the aluminum foil and put over the heat (BBQ, fire grill, etc.). Leave it on the heat for about 10 minutes or so, but keep an eye on it just in case. Enjoy! Nice and easy.

Happy pinning,
 M

PS The leg warmers and mittens are still to come... I underestimated the skill it takes to work a needle and thread. Stay tuned...


1 comment: